Saturday, August 17, 2013

Gooey Fun!


Ok, So I have seen about a million recipes for the homemade "gak" or whatever on Pinterest. But they all used Borax.. and unfortunately every store I went to was out of stock.. must be pretty dang popular stuff. So I tried to find a recipe that didn't use it. After browsing a bunch of recipes I found one that used liquid starch instead and it seemed super straight forward.. so I figured I would experiment and see how it worked. Well.. lets just say it turned out awesome and it was SO SO SO much fun! Me and my son both had a blast playing with this stuff.

Liquid starch (about $1.80 at Walmart in the laundry detergent isle), white school glue (about .35¢ a bottle at Target for their back to school sale), and some food coloring ($1.99 at Target)

Dump the entire bottle of glue into a bowl.. no measuring necessary.. just dump as much of it in as you can.

Add your food coloring. I think we added 5 or so drops of food coloring. 

Now, little by little add more and more liquid starch and just mix it. I would say we added about a tablespoon at a time. and it will get to a point where you almost think there is a little too much starch because it will be harder to mix. And at this point you just gotta get your hands dirty. Just squish it until  all the liquid is soaked in. If I HAD to put an estimate on the measurement of starch I would say we maybe used about 5-7 Tablespoons.. but that is totally just a guess... So don't hate me if I am wrong. Honestly I think its just easier to add a little at a time and you will just know when its ready to play with.

This was so much fun and seriously took maybe 5 minutes to make and cost less than $5 to buy everything to do it.

For those of you who are wondering about the goo getting in your kids hair or on their clothes. It got all over my son's clothes and it got in his long curly hair. I rinsed his shirt under some running water and scrubbed the fabric together and it came right off. I don't know if it would be this easy while it was dry.. but it didn't stain and it came off really easily. And as far as the hair I just got a wet rag and got it out. To make thing easier next time I might not have him wear a shirt. But at least I know I could get it out of clothes if it got on them again. And yes.. it did stain our hands a tint of blue but it also seemed to wash right off with soap and water.

Have fun and thanks for reading!

*update 8-22-13*

  • Ok, so afterwards I found some of this goo in his hair that had dried out.. it was SUPER easy to just pick out when it was dry.
  • Also.. this stuff does not keep well, I put it in a Tupperware container and went to play with it two days later and it was too sticky to get off my hands. I am going to try another recipe with Borax at some point and see how that holds up. Apparently it works a lot better.



No comments:

Post a Comment