Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Super easy silk screening for sports numbers!



Ok, so two out of my three brothers play high school football. Its a little interesting because both of them play for different schools. I try to not miss a single game of theirs if I can avoid it.. and yes I bring BOTH of my kids to every game. My youngest brother plays for Riverton High School (purple, black, and silver) while my second to youngest brother plays for Herriman High School (red, blue, and gold). I decided I wanted to make my daughter a shirt with their numbers on the back.. but getting the iron on numbers can be a little expensive. So.. I was out at Walmart and I saw these stencils for sports numbers. I decided to buy them and see what I could come up with since the pack was only $2.50 (or something around there.. give or take a few cents). What I came up with looks awesome! I cannot wait to do her other onesie! Anyways.. here are the instructions. This was easy, cheap, and it only took me about 10-15 minutes to do. 

First off I started with a purple onesie (for Riverton) and flipped it over so the back was showing. (also.. I got this purple onesie for $1.50 on clearance at Walmart). You will the stencils, fabric puff paint, card stock or some kind of thick paper, and a foam bowl or something to wipe excess paint on.

Now center  your peel off stencils and stick them to the fabric (this actually wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be) also as you can see I decided to not use the number symbol.. I will use it on the front later I think.

Squirt your puff paint just in the center of the numbers like shown above, I promise you will not need any more than that.

Now, I ripped off a little piece of the thick paper, it was too hard with the whole big piece. But make sure when you have your piece of paper that you leave a straight edge. Use this paper to smear and scrape around the paint so that all of the inside number is covered. Just be careful to not get the paint way too close to the edge.

Now use the straight edge of your paper to slowly even out and scrape off all the excess paint. Whenever I would get the excess paint on the paper I would just wipe it off on the foam bowl.

Once you are done, carefully peel off the stencils (they are re-usable so put them back on their waxy paper). I think it turned out really nice! And the texture of it so far feels like it isn't going to crack or peel off.

Now my little sweetie can support her uncle at his football games! I am going to stencil on "I ♥ 28 on the front of the onesie once the back is dry. It says on the puff paint bottle that the paint takes 4 hours to dry. But I think with a thin coat like this it would honestly only take a couple. Only a few minutes after I did this I could touch it without it sticking on my fingers. I am going to leave it over night (because I did this project at 10:30 at night) and then do the front in the morning! I hope this helps! 

HAPPY FOOTBALL SEASON! WOOOO!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment